Sunday, January 8, 2012

We Love Potato Soup

I made potato soup for New Years Eve. I know what you're thinking, but let me tell you...it was GOOD! I think we're going to be calling it Loaded Baked Potato Soup. Just a warning...if you are squeamish of bacon grease, you're going to have trouble with this recipe. My grandpa would LOVE this recipe! But once you taste it, you'll convince yourself it's ok to indulge once in a while. That's how good it is! Rohn even took a picture. Who thought potato soup would be so loved?





















I took a Pinterest find and revised it to be potato soup, although I'm sure the original recipe is delicious...my honey isn't fond of corn in his soup! Here's what I did:

Loaded Baked Potato Soup - Serves 4

8 Scallions, chopped
6 slices of Bacon, chopped
3 medium Potatoes
2 tablespoons Flour
1 cup Half & Half
2 cups Milk (I used 2%)
2 cups Chicken Stock
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon Parsley Flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (I just did a pinch)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Grated Cheddar & Sour Cream for garnish (optional)

1. In a large stock pot, fry the bacon pieces until crisp. Remove them from the pan, leaving the drippings. Set them aside to garnish on top of the soup.
2. Peel & chop the potatoes into bite sized chunks. Slice the scallions very thin and separate the greens from the whites.
3. Place the potatoes and white scallion pieces into the stock pot and cook over medium heat until the scallions have softened, 2 or 3 minutes.
4. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
5. Pour in the mik & half and half, chicken stock, Old Bay, thyme, parsley, cayenne, salt, and pepper, stirring well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
6. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Garnish with scallion greens, bacon, and cheddar cheese.
7. Enjoy every bite and promise yourself not to make this for at least a month!

If there are leftovers, store in the fridge overnight & the soup is EVEN BETTER the second day - if you can believe it! This will go in my recipe arsenal for sure. It's one of those soups I can usually count on having the ingredients in the fridge & pantry, and can be whipped together fairly quickly. I bet this only took me 20 minutes once I got going. Serve with crusty bread or small sandwiches, salad, or nothing at all. You will NOT be disappointed. It may turn you into a Soup Nazi though...I found myself telling the girls the next day as I warmed it up for lunch - No Soup For You!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment