Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Year of Creativity (and moderation...if you must know)

Months ago (while I was doing laundry), Rohn & I got into a conversation about being creators instead of just consumers. In the years of having babies, raising babies, chasing after babies, baby laundry, oh...and now HOMESCHOOLING (the lovely time-sucker it is)...creativity has somehow taken a back seat around here. Because you see, it is so much easier to just buy a thing than to use brain power to make something new from something old, repurpose, or just learn to do something you don't know how to do! So, we decided right then that we MUST embrace creativity and get back on the train of life-long learning. Also - did I mention we became "friends" with Dave Ramsey 2 years ago and live on a budget now? A budget that doesn't just let you buy any old thing all the time...having limits also makes you creative (post on how I learned to cook because of this coming later).

So...first thing I dove into was making hairbows for my girlies. Because I LOVE sweet, little, big, southern-looking, preppy, bows and baretts and headbands and options! Must have options ;o) Say hello to Hobby Lobby, Pinterest, and 1/2 price sales on rolls of ribbons. I totally enjoy making bows and felt flowers and corker bows and tshirt headbands and other such fun things. Creativity is FUN!

Next on the list? Knitting. I see beautiful scarves, hats, baby leg warmers, and other such sweet (did I mention warm?) things for money...lots of money. Remember the budget? ;o) Yes, let's not forget. Again off to Hobby Lobby for needles & yarn (on sale, mind you!). Love that store...it sucks me in and I have to purposefully leave. Yesterday one of the girls in our homeschool group came over and taught me how to cast-on, and the knit stitch. I can knit anything right now as long as it is the knit stitch...purling coming at a later date...and then I'm totally diving into cable...oh I love cable!


That's just of the pretty part...the edges are not so pretty, or straight. But hey...I'm still a knitting virgin here, and I don't think it looks too horrible!!! If it does, please do not imply so in the Comments. Thank you. Here's my current list of things I want to knit.

Baby Legwarmers - CUTE! As soon as I learn to purl, I can do the ribbing...very exciting! Audi's chunky legs would be sooo sweet in these. I would want to eat her up...even more than I already do!


This very cool chunky scarf using the KNIT stitch...I can do that!!! Seriously...how Anthro looking is this infinity scarf?



And then I figure I'll want to dive into a long, emotionally powered project...maybe a soft blanket for my girlies. This one looks so cute and bright.



Last note...remember the moderation bit in the title? I could do this knitting thing all day right now. I find it so relaxing and satisfying...but then laundry wouldn't get done, the girls would be eating crackers and cereal for meals, and schooling would be totally non-existent! All things in moderation...even really fun, creative, productive things.

What about you? Have you been learning something that is really enjoyable and creative? Do I need to learn it too? ;o) Share!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment